Completely incoherent ramblings about shoes, food and being in love.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Extreme Makeover, Jessica Edition

In an effort to start out the new year properly, I did something that I have needed to do since, oh I don't know, August or so. I got a haircut!

Before



After

I know, I know. It's barely even the same person!

You know you love the strategic-ly angled shot, so as to showcase the back of the hair as well.

She cut it too short. I specifically sat down and said, "I know that my hair is split ends up to about ear level, but please, I beg of you, do not take too much off. I know that makes me the hair stylist's anti-christ, but I love the length." Sure, she laughed and said not to worry, but look at that! There is about two inches in the dust pan at the salon that I want back! And, she cut my swoopy bangs too short, and not the way I expected, but all in all, it wasn't so bad. At least not as bad as it could have been.

Also, I am working on 36 hours and counting without a cigarette. I think that yesterday was the single longest day of my life, times a million. I am quitting cold turkey. No patches, no gum, nothing but lots of candy canes to suck on. Colin, Lynn and my work husband are all quitting as well which is helpful due to the support, but perhaps not good because we are all VERY on edge. Yesterday Lynn came over to check on me and Colin and when I answered the door she said I looked like a heroin addict, which is a lovely picture.

Aside: Speaking of heroin addicts, check out this picture of Brad Renfro. I totally used to have a crush on him back when he was Mark Sway in The Client. He looks like shit now!

Trying to sleep last night was nearly impossible. My chest hurts like nothing I have ever felt. Nicotine (or some other chemical, I am not quite sure) is a pain killer. The past twelve years my lungs have been yelling at me, but I had no idea because they were numb. Well, I think they are making up for lost time. My heart feels like it is going to explode. Let me be a lesson to you, next time you're out drinking and you feel like having a smoke, don't fucking do it! You could possibly become addicted and end up tossing and turning in your bed wishing you could just get some fucking sleep because that was supposed to be the easy part, the eight hours a night when you aren't used to getting the nicotine anyway so you ought to be fine right? but your lungs and heart seem to be working in cahoots to simultaneously explode and implode all while your head is telling you that one little cigarette will make it all better and you are trying to withstand the urge because you don't want to disappoint the people that are rallying around you...

Her hair may have been cut too short, and she may look like a heroin addict for a few days, but if the team can pull off this extreme makeover, we just might see one of the best transformations ever. Stay tuned.

1 Comments:

Blogger janet said...

dude your hair is totally NOT too short (and I say that as a very long hair oriented person). I think it looks gorgeous. Sacrificing a mere two inches for shine, volume, and glamour is the right way to go.

As for the smoking, I am REALLY proud. Every night will get easier, I hope. There may be bumps in the road, but nothing can be like last night.

I am giving up eating crap. It's not nearly as hard, but when I am tempted to eat junk I am going to think about how you quit smoking and by golly then I can quit eating. Plus, a smoke-free Jess is a momma-Jess? Maybe?

9:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home